Amp Up Your EmailsMay/04/2017
“By year-end 2018 an estimated $500 million in digital commerce revenue will be attributable to email marketing.”– Noah Elkin, Gartner
In an era where the primary way we interact with the world is digital it shouldn’t be a surprise that email marketing is still the most effective (and profitable) way for a business to reach its audience, and yet so many small businesses neglect this vital part of their marketing strategy. With so much hype around social media it might be hard to believe that something that sounds as archaic as email marketing could be so advantageous, but according to a recent report by McKinsey it is 40% more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter. That is pretty significant.
Implementing an email marketing strategy should be a central part of your customer journey and is crucial to the long-term growth of your commerce business. These are a few of our suggested elements to focus on that will have you on your way to seeing a boost in your conversions and sales.
MAKE IT MOBILE-FRIENDLY
With over half of all web traffic coming from mobile devices, ensuring your email is optimized for smartphones and tablets should be a key part of your strategy.
- Subject lines are often even more important than the email content itself to grab your reader’s attention, and this is even truer on mobile when people are on the go. Check out this awesome guide from Listrak on how to get the best results out of your subject lines
- Call to action (CTA) buttons should be large enough that they are easy to tap on a smartphone and designed to stand out from the rest of your content so it’s easy to find on a smaller screen
- There are few things more frustrating than clicking on a link from your phone or tablet only to be redirected to a poorly formatted landing page that isn’t optimized for your device. One of the many benefits of having your commerce site on the Shopify platform is that they use responsive design, meaning your landing page will automatically resize itself to fit any screen
- Most important of all is to keep it simple and to the point
MAKE IT PERSONAL
Customers are inundated daily by companies just like yours vying for their business, so personalizing your message to make it relevant will go a long way in your campaign success. According to a recent report from Forrester, trigger-based emails can generate 4x more revenue and 18x greater profits compared to generic emails. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Increase sales by one-time only buyers by sending a promotional offer to just these specific customers
- A huge amount of potential sales gets left in abandoned carts – consider offering a discount or incentive such as free shipping to those customers to turn them into profit
- If you have products with unique care instructions, send a follow-up email to customers with how to properly care for that particular item
- Including personalized product recommendations in emails based on items previously viewed can increase click-through rates (CTR), engagement, and conversions
MAKE IT LOOK GOOD
While things like mobile optimization and personalization are important in the success of your email marketing strategy, it won’t impact your sales if the design isn’t engaging.
- Ensure your content is well written and that your visuals are consistent with your brand. Maintaining cohesiveness between your website and any marketing material is important in building brand recognition and trust
- Use easy to read fonts, copy that is clear and to the point, and images that will get your reader’s attention without overwhelming them
By syncing your Shopify storefront with a platform like MailChimp or Klaviyo, you can send customers personalized product recommendations based on their past purchase behavior, segment your customers based on demographics, and automate your marketing efforts based on pre-determined behaviour.
For a more in-depth look at bringing your email marketing strategy to life, our friends at Shopify have put together ‘How to Grow Your Ecommerce Business with Email Marketing’ - an awesome guide that will walk you through setting up your own killer strategy.